What Students Share About the Program
"FSUshadow is an awesome opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience in their fields of interest" -Junior, Finance major
"FSUshadow was an amazing opportunity that provided me with a future job offer and experience I'll never forget!"-Sophomore, Family & Child Sciences major
"FSUshadow is one of the best experiences I've had so far at FSU, I left with connections that will last a lifetime"-Junior, Real Estate major
"Speaking with actual professionals in the field is a wonderful way to get some insight on how to progress your career goals. I would definitely recommend this to every FSU student!”- Senior, Editing, Writing,& Media major
*To see all photos and feedback from hosts and students: search #fsushadow on LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
FSUshadow Winter Break 2021 dates: December 14, 15 or 16
FSUshadow will offer both in-person and virtual sessions for Winter Break 2021
Applications open October 4-29, 2021 in NoleNetwork
FSUshadow Matches released to Student Participants: November 19
ALL degree-seeking FSU students can apply to participate through NoleNetwork!
Please note: Some FSUshadow Hosts may have specific restrictions such as major or year in school.
In order to apply for FSUshadow opportunities you must have an updated resume uploaded in NoleNetwork. To upload your resume to NoleNetwork, log in with your FSU ID and password. Complete your Profile and upload your resume through the Documents tab.
It is highly recommended that you have your resume reviewed by The Career Center prior to you uploading it. In order to have your resume reviewed, you may:
- Stop by during The Career Center Drop-In Advising hours Monday - Friday, 9am - 4:30pm. (Note: The Career Center is closed on Fridays from 1:30-2:30pm for staff trainings)
- Visit a Career Center Liaison during Drop-In Advising Hours: http://www.career.fsu.edu/About-Us/Hours-of-Operation
There are eight (8) preset dates throughout the academic year on which structured, matched FSUshadow experiences will occur, four (4) in the Fall and four (4) in the Spring. All FSUshadow program days occur during academic breaks so not to interfere with the academic calendar.
The 2021-22 program dates are:
- Winter Break 2021 Session: December 14, 15, 16
- Spring Break 2022 Session: March 14, 15, 16, 17
- Summer Break 2022 Session: August 1, 2, 3, 4
If you work during the time of the FSUshadow experience you apply for, make sure to take the day off ahead of time.
FSUshadow Student Participants are responsible for their travel costs to and from their FSUshadow Host location.
FSUshadow Student Participants will not earn academic credit or monetary compensation for participation in FSUshadow.
What will a typical FSUshadow experience include?
The FSUshadow experience varies depending on the organization you are visiting but here are some examples of what your experience could include:
- Conduct informational interviews with a variety of employees
- Participate in a guided tour of the facility
- Attend meetings or organizational events
- Observe and ask questions while shadowing daily tasks
- Participate during interactions with clients
- Meet and greet college hires or current interns
- Lunch with FSU Alumni
- Learn about career/internship opportunities within the organization
Which companies are participating?
Numerous organizations in all different areas of business in the State of Florida as well as nationwide will be participating as FSUshadow Hosts.
All FSUshadow opportunities will be viewable in NoleNetwork before the application window for each session opens. FSUshadow Hosts post opportunities every day so be sure to check back frequently for new options!
FSUshadow Student Participants are responsible for their travel costs to and from their FSUshadow Host location. FSUshadow Student Participants will not earn academic credit or monetary compensation for participation in FSUshadow.
Steps to Apply for FSUshadow
Ready to apply for an FSUshadow Session?
Follow these quick steps:
- Sign in to your NoleNetwork account.
- Complete your Account Profile and Upload an up to date resume via the Documents tab.
- Click the “Jobs” tab and search using the keyword feature “FSUshadow”
- View FSUshadow opportunities by selecting individual opportunities. Pay careful attention to the DATES and LOCATIONS of the opportunities. Remember, you are responsible for your travel to and from the FSUshadow opportunities if you are selected.
- To apply for a FSUshadow Opportunity, select the position you wish to apply for and then click “Apply”.
- Select which resume you want to submit to the FSUshadow Host. Be sure to include additional information the position asks for. You may want to include a two-three sentence note to the employer including your interest in the position. Click “Submit” to apply for the position.
- Your application has been successfully submitted when you see the Green notification on the next screen.
Be sure to check back frequently as opportunities will be added throughout.
For more information on how to apply, key dates and datelines, and tips for a successful shadowing experience you can check out the FSUshadow Information Session PowerPoint available here.
- If you are selected for an FSUshadow opportunity, you will be notified via NoleNetwork and email of your matched FSUshadow opportunity.
- Matched students will have one week to accept or decline their FSUshadow experience(s).
- Students who accept a match are required to submit a commitment contract to finalize the match.
- All FSUshadow Student Participants must complete a mandatory orientation, then sign privacy disclosures and liability waivers.
- FSUshadow Hosts will then email their matched Student Participant(s) the relevant details, and it is the Student Participant's responsibility to confirm the details and confirm the day with their FSUshadow Host.
MANDATORY Orientation for Selected FSUshadow Student Participants
All FSUshadow Student Participants must complete a MANDATORY orientation prior to their FSUshadow experience. For each session, students will be required to complete an virtual, ONLINE orientation available through Canvas. Once the orientation and related quiz are completed, students will have met the orientation requirement.
- During the FSUshadow Program session, FSUshadow Student Participants will report directly to their designated FSUshadow Host organization location. FSUshadow Student Participants are responsible for their travel costs to and from their FSUshadow Host location. FSUshadow Student Participants will not earn academic credit or monetary compensation for participation in FSUshadow.
- FSUshadow Student Participants agree to uphold the FSU Conduct Code, found here - http://srr.fsu.edu/Student-Conduct-Code, during their experience.
- Additionally, as a recipient of Federal financial assistance for education activities, FSU is required by Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 to ensure that all of its education programs and activities are free from discrimination on the basis of sex. Sexual discrimination includes sexual misconduct (sexual violence, stalking, intimate partner violence, gender based animosity and gender based stereotyping). If you have questions about Title IX or wish to file a Title IX complaint, please visit the FSU Title IX website: www.titleix.fsu.edu or call Jennifer Broomfield, Title IX Director 850-644-6271. Please note that as Responsible Employees, all faculty are required to report any incidents of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Office.
- For information about the confidential on-campus Victim Advocate Program, please visit https://dos.fsu.edu/vap/.
- FSUshadow Hosts agree to read the following policies/disclaimers as outlined on The Career Center website:
FSUshadow Program Evaluation
After each FSUshadow program session, both the FSUshadow Student Participant and Host will evaluate their experience with the FSUshadow program. Each Student Participant will receive an emailed survey within 3-4 business days after the FSUshadow session concludes.
The FSUshadow Student Participant will evaluate the following:
- Overall experience with FSUshadow Hosts
- Satisfactory level of information learned towards making an informed career decision
- Communication of the FSUshadow Program
- Areas for feedback and improvement
Who can participate?
- All degree-seeking FSU students can participate!
- Please note: Some employers may have specific restrictions such as major or year in school.
What kinds of industries participate?
- All Industries are welcome to participate.
Is there a cost?
- There is no cost to participate, however Student Participants are responsible for their own transportation (and lodging if applicable) to the location, parking, and lunch of the FSUshadow Host Site.
Do I get paid?
- FSUshadow Student Participants will not be paid or receive academic credit.
How many FSUshadow opportunities can I apply for?
- Students are encouraged to apply for the FSUshadow opportunities they are truly interested and able to participate in.
What if I don’t get selected to participate?
- Due to the popularity of organizations and the opportunity to participate in FSUshadow, sometimes an FSUshadow Applicant will not be matched. In the event that this occurs, the FSUshadow Program Manager will send information to the student with other opportunities and ways to gain experience through job shadowing.
How do I prepare for the day?
- Your FSUshadow Host should contact you about day-of details. If you have not heard from your Host prior to the week before your shadow experience, please email FSUshadow@fsu.edu
- Research the organization and the person you are shadowing.
- Come up with informational interview questions. You can find help with this through our Job Shadowing and Informational Interview Guide.
- Have your day of clothing ready to go. Be sure to reference the FSUshadow opportunity for dress code requirements of your FSUshadow Host’s organization.
What if I have to cancel my FSUshadow experience?
- By applying to any FSUshadow opportunity, you are committing to the FSUshadow Experience. Because Student Participants apply a month in advance, you should be able to follow-through on this commitment.
- If an FSUshadow Student Participant is unable to follow through on their commitment to attending their FSUshadow experience for any reason, the FSUshadow Student Participant MUST notify FSUshadow Program Managers within 2 business days of their shadow experience. Except in the case of extenuating circumstances (such as natural disasters), cancelling after this window will prohibit student participation in future FSUshadow Program sessions. Students who cancel after this date will also be required to send an apology letter to their FSUshadow Host.
For questions or additional information, please contact The Career Center at FSUshadow@fsu.edu