The decision to pursue an advanced degree requires careful consideration of your options. What degrees are available to me? How do I choose a school or program? How do I apply? These are all common questions that The Career Center is prepared to provide you resources and information for! With any big decision, it is helpful to speak with a Career Advisor, but here are some resources to get you started.
We have several guides that can help you learn more when considering your graduate school options, including important factors to consider when making the decision and advice on preparing a personal statement.
- Applying to Graduate School Timeline
- Going to Graduate School
- Writing a Personal Statement
- Finding and Using Graduate Student Resources
Researching Programs and Schools
Before you can make a decision, it's important to identify and gather information on programs of interest to you in your chosen field! You may want to consider the culture and quality of the program, cost of the degree, application deadlines, and admission requirements. There are many resources in our career guides and library, but here are a few to get you started with your research:
- FSU More in Four
- FSU Graduate Programs
- Peterson’s Graduate School Guide
- America’s Best Graduate Schools
- The #1 Graduate School Directory on the Planet
- College Navigator
- FSU Undergraduate Academic Program Guide
- Virtual Campus Tours
- The Top PhD Resource on the Web
Thinking About FSU Graduate Programs
As you consider your options, explore what opportunities are available with the FSU Graduate School. Use the resources below to research graduate programs and begin your applications.
- FSU More in Four Program
- FSU Graduate Programs
- Inquire about FSU Graduate School
- Apply to FSU Graduate School
Reaching out and connecting with current and past graduate students can help you to feel more informed and supported in this process. You may have questions such as:
- What should I be doing now to prepare for graduate/professional school?
- What resources should I take advantage of while applying to graduate/professional school?
- What does the process of applying look like?
- What is graduate/professional school really like?
- What can I do with a graduate degree?
The resources listed below will help you gain access to mentors to support you as you consider graduate education.
- FSU Graduate Student Ambassadors
- ProfessioNole Mentors (search topics for applying to graduate school)
Financing Graduate School
The cost of attending graduate or professional school may impact whether you attend or not, but know that financial support is available for graduate students! Ideally, you should begin researching sources of financial support early in the application process. Types of awards/assistance available include fellowships, assistantships, loans, or grants and scholarships. Consider reaching out to your institutions of interest to inquire about financial support if you do not see it posted on their website. Other sources of financial aid information include:
- Office of Graduate Fellowships and Awards
- FSU Financial Aid
- FSU Office of National Fellowships
- SREB: Academic Common Market
For more information related to preparing for graduate school, visit The Career Center Library or our collection of resources related to admissions testing:
- FSU Test Preparation Courses
- Test Preparation Services
- Peterson's Test and Career Prep
- GMAT: Graduate Management Admission Council
- GRE: Graduate Record Examinations
- LSAT: Law School Admission Council
- MAT: Miller Analogies Test
- MCAT: Medical College Admission Test